PURE AFRICAN EXPERIENCE
“the bush is better when we are here to look after it.” Peter Mubita Mukanda, Employed at Masuwe for over 15 years,
Masuwe Lodge opened its doors in 1992 as the flag-ship lodge of Landela Safaris, a company owned and operated by local Zimbabwean couple Stewart and Sally Cranswick. Under the guidance of General Manager, Jonathan Elway it quickly became a firm favourite on the Landela Safari circuit which included lodges in Harare, Hwange National Park and Kariba.
In 2002 Landela Safaris wound down its operations in Zimbabwe and Masuwe Lodge was packed up and closed. For the last 15 years, the gardens and the old stone buildings have been in the care of Farai Mukaro and his team, all of whom are excited to welcome guests back to Masuwe.
Masuwe Lodge reopened in May 2017 after a total re-build and re-furbish. We have taken the lodge right back to the skeleton … and then some!
- All plumbing and electrical works have been replaced, as has the timber decking in the tented rooms
- The old stone bathrooms have been completely rebuilt
- The old green tents have been replaced with spacious sand-coloured canvas, allowing for more light
- New pathways link the rooms through the established gardens
- The glitter stone of the original swimming pool again sparkles in the sun light
- One thing we have not changed is the names of the tented rooms; each is named after a bird, those that Stewart and Sally first saw on their first visit to Masuwe. And yes there is a Hornbill, hence the photo of “Zazu” here … we see them around the Lodge every day.